Easy Stretches to Relieve Back Pain
Debilitating back pain can make it difficult to complete even the most basic tasks. You may have tried pain medication or surgery to relieve your pain. These can have a number of side effects that could lead to complications. These aren’t the only treatment options. You can strengthen your spine and loosen tight muscles by doing simple stretches daily. This may help you to feel more flexible, which could lead to pain relief. Here are five examples of stretches to relieve back pain.
These tips will help you get the most from your stretching sessions.
- You should try to stay in the pose you choose for at most 10 seconds. However, a minimum of 30 seconds is best to allow your joints and muscles to stretch properly
- It should not hurt to stretch. It is possible to feel some discomfort but not pain
- Do not force your body into difficult poses
- You should do your stretching on a flat, firm surface
- Comfortable shoes will prevent you from sliding across the floor
- Slowly move into the stretch and keep it up without bouncing
Do not push yourself too hard with any stretching exercises. You should keep these stretches gentle and at a level that is most comfortable for your body. Here are 4 easy stretches to relieve back pain.
1. Trunk-Rotation Stretch
To complete the trunk-rotation stretch:
- Start by lying down on your back. Next, bring your knees toward your chest.
- Keep your palms on the ground and extend your arms straight out.
- Keep your knees together, hands on the ground, and roll your knees to the right. Hold for approximately 20 seconds.
- Return to the original position, and then go back to the beginning.
- Continue to do this approximately five times more.
2. Pelvic Tilt
To complete the pelvic tilt:
- Place your hands on your stomach, with your knees bent and your feet flat.
- While pushing your stomach out, arch the lower back.
- Push your pelvis slightly up but not off the ground. This will help you tighten your abdominal muscles and glutes. This should be held for approximately 5 seconds, then slowly let go.
- Repeat approximately 5 times.
3. Child’s Pose
To complete the child’s pose:
- Place your hands on the ground and place your knees on the floor. Next, slowly raise your hands in front of yourself.
- Slowly lower your torso to your knees and then extend your arms straight out in front, keeping your palms down.
- You can relax in this position as long as it suits you and then repeats the process as many times as necessary.
4. Knees to chest
To complete the knee-to-chest stretch
- Place your hands on the ground and lie on your back.
- Place your left leg on the ground and place your right knee in your chest.
- This pose should be held for approximately one minute, then release.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
5. Bridge Pose
To complete the bridge pose
- Place your hands on your hips and lie down.
- Push into your feet and lift your lower back. Then, bring your hips up to align with your shoulders.
- For stability, keep your hands flat on a hard surface.
- For about 15 seconds, hold this position and then slowly lower your body to the ground.
- Repeat approximately 5 times.
There are many different stretches that can be very effective in the treatment of back pain. The following four stretches will help reduce muscle tension, relax stiff muscles and improve your range of motion. Call Florida Medical Pain Management to receive a complimentary consultation about ways to ease your back pain.